Thursday, January 6, 2011

Stone - Lucky Bastard

From the moment I saw this beer in the store this evening, I knew it was taking me home tonight. One of my favorite beers of all time is brewed by a San Diego brewing company called Stone and found at the following URL. Stone produces a beer called "Arragont Bastard Ale", it is very dark and flavorful and usually doesn't take more than one to get me a nice buzz going (as the beer is in a 22oz bottle and is 7.2% ABV). I can remember more than a few parties taking this guy as my wing man and most of them ended with me having a nice heavy hang over the next day. I prefer this title to the "Arrogant Bastard" title, as I used to always say that someone was a "Lucky Bastard" when he beat me at either cards, dominoes, or video games. :D

I usually put the "Arrogant Bastard" in the freezer to make it extra cold when I open it (the higher alcohol percentage makes it much more resistant to freezing)... so if you like you beer cold, pop this guy in the freezer for about 30 minutes prior to opening. This bad boy is a higher alcohol content than "Arrogant Bastard", weighing in at 8.5% ABV. You can still smell that this beer is aged in oak barrels and the color has a subtle red hint to it. Unfortunately the head didn't last but about 2 minutes, but was a nice color to begin with (as you can see in the photo). This beer is not as heavy or as thick as "Arrogant Bastard" and has a stronger alcohol flavor to it. I give this beer 3.5/5 stars when it comes to dark Stone beers. This is a special edition bastard ale and mind you it is not as good as the original, but it is damn close. If you like Stone beers and would like something different, give this guy a try, he is good and will probably get you more trashed than a standard bastard, but not nearly as quickly as a Double Bastard.

Happy Drinking! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment