Sunday, May 8, 2011

Val-Dieu - Grand Cru

Happy Mother's Day everyone, the beer for today is Val-Dieu Grand Cru. This is a Belgian Abbey Ale that I picked up at my local Whole Foods, for just about $10. This has to be the darkest Belgian beer I have ever seen, a dark dark red, that I can't see through. This beer comes in at 10.5% ABV. I popped the cork on this beer and was amazed at how easily the cork was expelled from the bottle... this normally means that the beer is highly carbonated. This beer poured rather well and produced a nice white head. This beer smells of subtle hints of citrus and something sour I can't place my hand on. The first sip of this beer was very dark and alcoholic. I looked over another review of this particular brew, it states that this is a Quadrupel. They also stated that there was hints of currants in the brew, that explains the fruity sour taste.I am going to give this beer 3.75/5 stars, it is very flavorful and dark and each sip tastes better than the last. I would recommend this beer for a nice cool dry night -- like tonight. I would recommend it after dinner beer as it is very sweet and flavorful, probably a little much to have more than two pints.


See you at the bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment