Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chimay - Grand Reserve

I am getting closer and closer to completing my Belgian Trappist Beer review run, at the moment I have two beers left to review. Today's beer of choice was going to be my last review, but unfortunately I was unable to find the other Trappist beer, so I settled for this. One of the most popular Trappist beers in my part of the country, Chimay -- it can be found at most nice bars in my area in the bottle or on tap and it can also be found in most grocery stores. I purchased this bottle for $9.45 at my local Whole Foods, you can find it at most grocery stores for right around $10 for a bottle. I decided to go with the Grand Reserve, as it is the darkest and I have been in a dark beer mood over the last few weeks... I think it might have to do with the fact that spring is almost over and summer is right around the corner, and it is much more pleasurable to drink darker beers when it is cooler outside. This beer had a nice printed cork and poured very smoothly from the bottle. After pouring this beer somewhat aggressively (to produce a nice large head), I was greeted with a nice white thick head, that lasted for about five minutes. The color was a nice dark cloudy reddish brown, and surprisingly the head was still not fully dissipated even after letting the beer sit for a good ten minutes to settle. The smell at first whiff was the standard alcoholic Belgian beer smell that I have come to enjoy and expect, I couldn't detect any scents of citrus or nuts during my second and third smells. The first sip was thicker than I expected and unfortunately didn't produce any taste of citrus, just a mild and lingering flavor. I am going to give this beer 2.5/5 stars, the presentation factors are raising this beer grade by at least one star, as the color is amazing and the head lingers for a very long time. But unfortunately I drink beer for the taste and this beer is very mild in flavor. If you are new to Belgian beers or are trying to convince a friend to try one, this might be a good starter, it doesn't have the strong alcoholic flavor that most Belgian beers have, and the flavor is very mild. I will have to review the other types of Chimay to see if they offer a better tasting brew.


See you at the bar! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment